- Icebreaker: Share the meaning behind your name! (Look it up if you don’t know!)
- The Jewish people of the First Century awaited the coming Messiah. What promises of God do we still await as New Testament Christians?
- Why is it so hard to wait for a promise to come true?
- What might God be trying to teach us as we, like Zechariah and Elizabeth, wait?
- Why do we fall into thinking that God’s blessings are based on our performance?
What is the risk in falling into this way of thinking?
- How do God’s promises provide an answer to our fear and shame?
Read Hebrews 11:32-40. Many people lived and died in faith, not receiving the fulfillment of God’s promises. Yet, we live in a time when we can look back at the cross and see the fulfillment of God’s promises in Jesus Christ.
As you end your time together, spend a moment reflecting on the fear and shame in your life that try to keep you from holding on to God’s promises. Then, thank God that fear and shame meet their end in His steadfast love displayed on the cross.