Parenting to Wisdom - Week Five (Elyria Campus)
Discipling the Next Generation
“Parenting to Wisdom”
Luke 2:40,52; Deuteronomy 6:1-25
Parenting to Wisdom…
- Begins with truth.
- Continues with ownership.
- Recognizes responsibility.
- Culminates with conversations.
Begins with truth. (Deut. 6:1-5)
- There is such a thing as absolute truth.
- Regardless of popular opinion.
- From the outside of us.
- Perspectives should not overtake providence.
Continues with ownership (Deut. 6:5,6)
- Own wisdom first.
- Protect wisdom.
- Strive for whole-life application.
Recognize responsibility. (Deut. 6: 7-15)
- Imparting wisdom is a faithful and continual effort.
- The primary responsibility always resides with the parent.
- Use supports.
- Supports are supplements, not supplants.
- Create an environment where questions are welcome.
- Be ready to answer.
- Connect your testimony.
LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What is one way that you can tangibly pass forward the truth of God’s wisdom to your family this week?
- What are some ways that culture tries to move your family from the truth of scripture? How can you guard against the drift?
- Are there areas in your parenting that are taking more emphasis than the promotion of Christ? How will you address that beginning this week?
- What is your testimony? Have you shared it with your children? Why is it important to do so?
- What supports offered by the church should I plan to take advantage of?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connecting with God, Intentional Evangelism, Trustworthy Steward