LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Describe a time in your life when you poured all your effort and energy into something and saw it to the end: finishing strong. What did you feel like during the process and after it was all accomplished?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:7. How can you relate to Paul’s reference of the Christian walk being like a fight, a race, and a trust to keep? Which illustration most speaks to your experience?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:3-6. Notice how after Paul challenges Timothy in v. 5 to live in contrast to those of vv. 3-4, he then contrasts his own life with that of Timothy’s, saying in effect “I’m about to die, but you keep going, endure hardship, don’t give up, I’m passing the baton to you now.” Now, think of your walk with Christ as being in a relay race: who “passed the baton” to you and who are you “passing the baton” to? How intentional have those transitions of “passing the baton” been?
- Read 2 Timothy 4:6. How often do you contemplate your death? How does facing the reality of your death help you consider how you will ‘finish”?
- Read v. 7. Paul refers to our walk with Christ as a ‘fight’. What battles have you faced where you feel you have failed? What battles has Jesus helped you overcome? Take time as a group to discuss these. Don’t rush.
- How has your mentor or other men and women of God in your life finished well? What have they done to finish strong all the way to the end?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Trustworthy Steward of God’s Resources/Living Surrendered
“What You Need to Finish Strong”
2 Timothy 4:6-8
In order to finish strong, you need:
1. A right perspective of your present
I’m here to pass the baton
I’m here temporarily
I’m here to live surrendered
I’m here to glorify God
2. An honest appraisal of your past
Life is a battle that we must fight
Have I been fighting or have I gone AWOL?
Life is a race that we run to finish
Have I been running or have I gotten off track?
Life is a trust and we must be faithful
Have I been a steward or a consumer?
3. A confident expectation for your future
Put your faith in Jesus
Fix your hope on Jesus
Fall in love with Jesus
Finishing strong is more likely to happen when you have decided to do so ahead of time.