LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Read John 13:33. Why did Jesus call his disciples “little children”? Do you think this offended them? What do you think they were feeling when he said these words?
- Jesus’ words in v. 34 are a command not a suggestion. Why do you think committed followers of Jesus treat it more like something to strive for instead of a command to obey?
- Are there any other ways Jesus specifically loved his disciples that you would have included under point 2?
- Which of the 12 ways Jesus loved his disciples do you find most compelling? Which is hardest? Which one or two do you want to specifically work on this week?
- Read John 13:31a and 34. As we heard in the sermon, Jesus gives his memorable commandment to love one another as he loved them immediately on the heels of Judas leaving to betray him. What does that teach you about the power of enduring, persevering love?
- Read John 13:21-31a. Have you ever been betrayed or experienced some other type of loss (e.g. death of a loved one, loss of a close friend, etc.) that affected how you love and trust others? If so, how?
- Jesus’ way of loving the disciples was a 24/7 lifestyle, not something he did one place and ignored in another. How can you make his lifestyle your lifestyle?
“Love 2.0: Loving Like Jesus”
1. Loving like Jesus is a command. Will you obey Him?
2. Loving like Jesus is a lifestyle. Will you follow Him?
How did Jesus love the disciples?
i. He hung out with them on their turf.
ii. He invited them to come along with him as he helped people.
iii. He accepted, befriended and included them.
iv. He prayed for them.
v. He cared about their friends and family.
vi. He listened patiently and gave them grace.
vii. He forgave them.
viii. He served them.
ix. He shared his life and ministry with them.
x. He shared the good news with them and helped them believe.
xi. He taught them and explained Scripture to them.
xii. He sacrificed his time and eventually his life for them.
3. Loving like Jesus is a decision. What will you do?
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People