LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Have you ever been in a situation that was so bad/traumatic/dangerous that you literally thought you were going to die?
- Review the subpoint of point 1. When was the last time this happened to you?
- Read vv. 1-4. How would Jesus’ accurate prophecy of what was to come for the disciples have encouraged them during the dark days following Jesus’ death on the cross?
- Read v. 1 in as many translations as you have in your group. What are some of the translations for the last words of the verse? The New Century Version and Good News Translation (which I doubt any one has) have “won’t give up.” Jesus warns us for a reason. What are things that might cause you to give up and abandon your faith?
- Why does God allow us to go through suffering, pain, stress and difficulty?
- Review the three subpoints of point 2. Notice the verbs in each of the three statements. The first verb seems unavoidable: trouble ‘produces’ stress, but the second two verbs (‘breeds’ and ‘fosters’) only point to the possibility of anxiety and fear not the inevitability of them. So how can you combat the anxiety and fear that threatens to bring you down? How can you turn stress into maturity and faith?
You can have unshakable peace amidst unbelievable stress.
1. Jesus warns us we may feel like giving up on God.
Hard times bring huge temptations to stop trusting God.
2. Jesus reminds us we will have trouble in life.
Trouble produces stress.
Stress breeds anxiety.
Anxiety fosters fear.
3. Jesus promises us we can have peace amidst trouble.
Peace from Jesus comes from remaining in Jesus.
The peace of Jesus makes us unshakable in trials.
His promise is true; His peace is real.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer/Loving God