LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What’s the most foolish thing you’ve ever done?
- Is there anything you do in your life that might be considered superstitious?
- When you see a baseball player make the sign of the cross, what do you think that means?
- What are ways that people treat the cross as more superstition and religious artifact than a reminder of Jesus’ death? Have you ever done this?
- What would you say to a person who says “believing in the idea of a man’s death on the cross 2000 years ago somehow being for me is foolishness”?
- In the sermon, Pastor Jim said “Just as you don’t have a cross without both the vertical and horizontal pieces so you don’t have the message of the cross without both Jesus’s death AND resurrection.” Why is this so?
“The Foolishness of God”
1 Corinthians 1:18-25
What you do with the cross determines your destiny.
The cross is foolishness:
- if you see it as a good luck charm.
- if you see it as a tragic death.
- if Jesus has not been resurrected.
So people stumble over the cross.
But because Jesus HAS BEEN resurrected,
The cross is full of God’s power:
- to save you.
- to forgive you.
- to fill you with His love and strength.
- to give you new life.
The message of the cross is:
- Jesus died so we could be forgiven
- Jesus was raised so we could have new life
Surrender your life to the Lord of the cross.