LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- People have become increasingly interested in learning about their heritage in our culture. Have you ever sought out your ancestry through a DNA test or by any other means (a family tree, asking a relative, etc.)? What did you discover?
- In the beginning of 2 Timothy, Paul remembers his ancestors, past generations of God-fearers who lived before Jesus came to the earth (1:3), and also Timothy’s mother and grandmother who had a “sincere faith” (1:5). How many generations back can you trace your “spiritual heritage”?
- As a young Christian, what did it look like, or what does it look like, for you to be discipled? Has anyone ever sat down with you and formally discipled you? If so, share about this experience. What was helpful? What was unhelpful?
- What do you think and feel when you hear that “Christianity is only one generation away from extinction?”
- Paul talks about a faith that is “entrusted” to believers in this passage. If someone came to check on the investment of faith given to you, what would they find? How are you stewarding the faith that has been passed down to you?
- What are some specific ways that we can be the “reliable people” that Paul is talking about?
“Strong Enough to Disciple”
2 Timothy 2:1-2
1. Unaddressed weakness leads to increasing decay.
When you ignore the Bible, you are ignoring God.
2. Repeated strengthening counteracts decay.
Becoming strong is never an end in itself.
3. We are strengthened by God to disciple others.
Generation 1: From Christ to Paul
Generation 2: From Paul to Timothy
Whatever you learn, share with others.
Generation 3: From Timothy to ‘reliable people’
Generation 4: From ‘reliable people’ to ‘others’
Are you strong enough to disciple?
Are you a part of the ‘reliable people’ or the ‘others’?
4. Ongoing discipleship is trustworthy stewardship.
God is entrusting you to share what you’ve heard.
Discipleship isn’t effective until it extends into multiple generations of disciples.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Intentional Evangelism/Loving People