“Strength to love”
1 Thessalonians 3:10-13
Whenever you identify a need, immediately turn to God in prayer.
Two prayers each of us need:
- May God increase your love:
- So you can love people well.
- Because people are messy.
- Because people need to be loved.
- So we can obey Jesus’ command.
- May God strengthen your hearts:
- So you are ready for Jesus’ return.
- Because life can weaken us.
- Because only God can give you the strength you need.
God’s part: Give you strength to love.
Your part: Give God your heart.
- To those who are fully committed: God sees you and will strengthen you.
- To those who are tired and weary: God sees you and will strengthen you.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer
- Icebreaker: When is the right time to say “I love you” in a relationship?
- How might your life be different if you immediately turned to God in prayer after identifying a need?
- Why should prayer be our response when we encounter weakness, deficiency, and neediness?
What is the goal?
- What do you do when you want to be filled with God’s love?
- How do you sense the Enemy or the world attempting to weaken your faith?
- Which of the four poor ways of loving do you find at work in your life (feeling-focused love, self-centered love, conditional love, controlling love)?
How would the kind of love God provides be better for you and those around you?
- Do you find yourself in one of the two groups (fully committed, tired and weary)?
How can you do your part of giving God your heart this week?
If people in this world are going to receive the love they need, they must be loved by people filled with the love of God. As you close, take a few minutes in the silence of your heart to open yourself to God, to remember the truth of the gospel, and to receive the love displayed by Jesus on the cross. Consider reading Romans 5:1-11, meditating on the truth of what Jesus has done. Then, before you leave that moment with the Lord, ask Him to bring someone to mind who needs you to love them with God’s love, which you have just received. Take a moment to pray for that person, considering how you can love them like Jesus this week.