“I Wonder about the Meaning of Life”
Ecclesiastes 1-12; Ephesians 1:1-12
Trying to find the meaning of life apart from God is a dead end.
- The meaning of life comes from the Source of Life
- You can’t find out the meaning of life by looking within yourself because you didn’t create yourself.
- “It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for”
- Meaning = Identity + purpose
- Our identity is found in Christ:
- We are made in the image of God
- We are loved by God
- We are redeemed by Christ
- Our purpose is found in Christ:
- That we might bring glory to God
- That we might live Christlike lives
- The meaning of life is found in Christ:
- to know God
- to enjoy God
- meaning is deepened in discipleship
- The way to God is through Christ
- surrender your life to God
- trust Jesus
- follow Jesus
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer/Loving God
- Icebreaker: See if you can guess the purpose of this first-century tool.
Answer and photo found here.)
- Which of King Solomon’s failed attempts to find meaning have you found yourself drawn to?
Have you come to the same conclusion as Solomon (cf. Ecc 1:2)?
- What do you go back to during times of identity crisis?
- How do you know if you are fulfilling your purpose in life?
- “Those who would be happy in heaven if Christ were not there won’t be there” (Scot McKnight, The Jesus Creed).
What is McKnight trying to communicate about the purpose of our existence and the nature of being a disciple of Jesus in this quote?
Do you agree or disagree, and why?
- What’s the difference between knowing about God and knowing God?
How do you move beyond knowing about God to knowing and enjoying Him?
- When do you find yourself most deeply enjoying God?
- Make a plan right now: How can you take a step toward deeper enjoyment of God this week?