LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Read John 13:33. Why did Jesus call his disciples “little children”? Do you think this offended them? What do you think they were feeling when he said these words?
- Jesus’ words in v. 34 are a command not a suggestion. Why do you think committed followers of Jesus treat it more like something to strive for instead of a command to obey?
- Are there any other ways Jesus specifically loved his disciples that you would have included under point 2?
- Which of the 12 ways Jesus loved his disciples do you find most compelling? Which is hardest? Which one or two do you want to specifically work on this week?
- Read John 13:31a and 34. As we heard in the sermon, Jesus gives his memorable commandment to love one another as he loved them immediately on the heels of Judas leaving to betray him. What does that teach you about the power of enduring, persevering love?
- Read John 13:21-31a. Have you ever been betrayed or experienced some other type of loss (e.g. death of a loved one, loss of a close friend, etc.) that affected how you love and trust others? If so, how?
- Jesus’ way of loving the disciples was a 24/7 lifestyle, not something he did one place and ignored in another. How can you make his lifestyle your lifestyle?
Backstage Pass: An Inside Look at the Greatest Prayer Ever Prayed
“How Jesus Makes Followers into Disciples”
To grow as a disciple of Jesus you need:
1. Revelation: An accurate understanding of God
a. Who God is
b. Who Jesus is
2. Teaching: Core lessons on following
a. Jesus’ Words of life
b. Jesus’ Way of life
3. Training: A process of development
a. Model: A does it, B watches.
b. Mentor: A does it, B follows.
c. Monitor: B does it, A coaches.
d. Multiply: B trains, C learns.
4. Commitment: Our response to God
a. Receive what He says
b. Believe what He says
c. Obey what He says
5. Help: Vital assistance from others
a. Jesus prays for you
b. The Holy Spirit is the Helper
c. Other disciples
Jesus receives glory when we grow as disciples.
Discipleship today starts at the cross.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word and Prayer/Loving God