LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Read John 13:33. Why did Jesus call his disciples “little children”? Do you think this offended them? What do you think they were feeling when he said these words?
- Jesus’ words in v. 34 are a command not a suggestion. Why do you think committed followers of Jesus treat it more like something to strive for instead of a command to obey?
- Are there any other ways Jesus specifically loved his disciples that you would have included under point 2?
- Which of the 12 ways Jesus loved his disciples do you find most compelling? Which is hardest? Which one or two do you want to specifically work on this week?
- Read John 13:31a and 34. As we heard in the sermon, Jesus gives his memorable commandment to love one another as he loved them immediately on the heels of Judas leaving to betray him. What does that teach you about the power of enduring, persevering love?
- Read John 13:21-31a. Have you ever been betrayed or experienced some other type of loss (e.g. death of a loved one, loss of a close friend, etc.) that affected how you love and trust others? If so, how?
- Jesus’ way of loving the disciples was a 24/7 lifestyle, not something he did one place and ignored in another. How can you make his lifestyle your lifestyle?
Freedom: Discovering Your Identity in Christ
John 8:36; Genesis 1
We discover the truth of who we are in light of who God is.
We break the bondage of money as we live out the truth of our identity.
Who God Is Who I Am
God is Creator. I am Created.
I have been lovingly created in the image of God.
I’m set free from the lie of having to prove or earn my worth.
I’m set free to discover purpose not pressured to invent it.
God is Owner. I am a Owned.
God has given me the responsibility to manage what He owns.
I’m set free from the lie that money and possessions define my identity.
I’m set free to trust God with what He’s given me.
God is Blesser. I am Blessed.
I am blessed to be a blessing.
I’m set free from the lie that I have to earn God’s favor and blessing.
I’m set free to bless others.
God is a Giver. I am Entrusted.
God entrusts to us what He has created, owns, and/or blessed us with.
God teaches us to trust by entrusting us.
Money is one of God’s best trust training tools.
All of life is about learning to trust God: who He is and what He says.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Trustworthy Steward of God’s Resources/Living Surrendered