LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- Jesus spoke words of love to his disciples and he showed them love by doing acts of love for them. When you are expressing love to others, do you tend to lean more towards love that is “spoken” or love that is “shown”?
- On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being merely knowing about Jesus and 10 being deep, abiding, loving intimacy with Jesus, how would you rank your closeness to Jesus?
- Point 2 includes the statement: “You can be as close to Jesus as you want to be.” How does this statement strike you? What are some things you could do to get closer to Jesus, to know Him better, to have a more intimate friendship with Him?
- Read John 15:15. If “servant” is “one who does tasks for the Master” and “friend” is “one who is in close personal relationship with another” which word, servant or friend, best describes your relationship with Jesus?
- Go around the room and take turns looking at the person next to you in the eyes and saying “Jesus loves you and wants to be your friend.” Describe what you were thinking and/or feeling when that phrase was spoken to you.
- Pastor Jim described the rhythm of “being with Jesus” and “being sent by Jesus.” Which part of that rhythm do you need to focus on to bring them both into balance? What might that look like for you?
- Who are you inviting to Easter? Are you writing/have you written an invitation note to them this week? If you need help with this, ask your LifeGroup to hold you accountable and to ask you next time you meet how it went.
Organic: Cultivating Spiritual Growth
Disciples of Jesus have been commissioned by Jesus to do the work of Jesus.
1. Commanded to love people like Jesus
Love that is spoken
Love that is shown
It is only by remaining in the love of Jesus that we can love like Jesus.
2. Called to live in intimacy with Jesus
You can be as close to Jesus as you want to be.
3. Chosen to be sent on mission by Jesus
“Bear fruit” means we are living like Jesus & making disciples of Jesus
Being with Jesus
Being sent by Jesus
The Father will give us whatever we need to do whatever he wills.
Jesus is looking for those who want to be with Him to be sent by Him.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People