LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
1. Did you make any New Year’s Resolutions this year? If so, what are they?
2. People tend to drift towards two extremes: either they think that they have to earn God’s favor by striving to keep all of the commands of God or they think since we are saved by grace, obedience isn’t necessary. Which extreme do you tend to drift towards? Why do you think that is?
3. In light of the previous question, why is obedience to God important?
4. What is the difference between obeying Jesus out of discipleship and obeying Jesus out of duty?
5. Read John 14:15. What are the commands of Jesus?
6. Which of the following words used to translate the Greek word “parakletos” in John 15:16 is most meaningful to you? Why?
a. “advocate to help you” (NIV)
b. “Counselor” (NIV84, RSV)
c. “Advocate” (NLT, NRSV)
d. “Helper” (NASB, ESV, GNB, NCV, NKJV)
e. “Friend” (MSG)
f. “Comforter” (KJV)
7. In what area of your life or issue you are dealing with do you most need help right now? Battling temptation, understanding the Bible, recognizing God’s voice, sharing your faith, living for God, obedience, get through painful/difficult experience, guidance with big decision, other?
8. As a group pray that this series would be life transforming for you, your family, your LifeGroup and our church. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you __________________.
“The Help You Need”
Christianity is not trying hard to be a better person, it is surrendering your life to Jesus and following him as his disciple.
1. The Christian life is impossible to live; we need help.
We obey out of love, not to earn love.
We obey out of discipleship not duty.
We obey inconsistently at best.
2. The help God gives is a person.
The Holy Spirit is the Helper.
The Helper helps us keep the commands of Jesus.
The Helper helps us love and live like Jesus.
The help you need is just a prayer away.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Spirit-led Servant/Living Surrendered