LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
1. When you were young, were you a compliant child or did you struggle with being told what to do? Has this changed in adulthood?
2. What is one example of a battle for control in your life?
3. Read Matt. 16:21-26. Who might be someone/something you love trying to hold you back from following God? What should you do about it?
4. How would you distinguish between our “first surrender” to Christ and “living surrendered”? What is the connection between the two?
5. What has been your biggest struggle in “learning surrender”?
6. Why would Jesus ask people to “pick up a cross” when describing following Him? How can this be ‘good news’?
7. What is one thing/area we can pray about that God has been asking you to “deny yourself and follow him”?
20/20 Vision: Seeing and Reaching the Lost
Matthew 16:21-24; 26:39
1. Learning surrender is an essential part of being a disciple.
Surrender is giving up control to another.
The greatest blessings of God are waiting on us to learn surrender.
Surrender is dying to my determination to run my life.
2. Living Surrendered is living a “Lord, I give You my ______” kind of life.
“Lord, I give You my heart.” (control center of my life)
“Lord, I give You my body.” (what I think, say and do)
“Lord, I give You my resources.” (money, possessions, assets)
“Lord, I give You my self.” (fears, loves, hopes)
3. Fully Surrendered is surrendering every part of my life to God.
Choosing to surrender is choosing to trust.
Resisting surrender is living a “I don’t trust/I am afraid so I have to be in control” kind of life.
Living Surrendered is living a “not my will but Yours be done” life.
We are never truly free until we have fully surrendered to the will of God.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Trustworthy Steward of God’s Resources/Living Surrendered