LifeGroup questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Life
- What are some common things people seek to find their identity in?
- As a group, spend some time coming up with what you think are the most damaging lies people believe about themselves.
- Which of these lies do you find yourself sometimes believing?
- How does being “set free from” without being “set free to” distort freedom?
- Which of the three main Truth Declarations under point 2 most resonates with you? Why?
- As a group make a commitment to each other to say these 3 Truth Declarations to yourself each morning this week.
Freedom: Discovering Your Identity in Christ
1. Bondage to sin blinds us to our captivity
Addicted to sin
Trapped in false beliefs/lies
Children of the wrong father
2. Freedom in Christ changes our identity
I am forgiven.
I am set free from guilt.
I am set free to give grace and forgiveness.
I am a son/daughter of God.
I am set free from striving.
I am set free to trust.
I am loved.
I am set free from performance.
I am set free to love.
Seeking our identity in anything or anyone but Christ just leads to new kinds of bondage.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Connected to God through the Word & Prayer