LifeGroup Questions: Applying the Teaching to Our Lives
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received for Christmas? Best ever given?
- Read 1 John 4:7-8 and 19-21. Then read 4:1-6 to get the wider context. What is the relationship between vv. 1-6 and the rest of chapter 4?
- What are some of the more popular ways people try to fill their love deficit?
- Read Eph. 5:1-2. How does this passage reflect the points about love in the sermon?
- Read 1 John 4:11-12. How is God’s love made “complete”? Does it alarm you that God counts on us to make his love complete? How do you do this?
Advent: The Light of the World
“Light that brings Love”
John 8:12; 1 John 2-4
1. Christmas is the story of God’s light and love penetrating our darkness.
We were created to run on love.
Sin damages us producing the darkness of feeling unloved and insecure.
Darkness is intensified as we try to fill our love deficit in self-centered ways.
We need God’s love to fill us, heal us and save us.
2. Christmas tangibilifies God’s love.
God is the source of love.
God showed us his love in sending Christ.
3. Christmas displays Christ’s love.
Jesus came to earth because of love.
Jesus lived a life of love.
Jesus died for our sins because of love.
4. Christmas reveals our love.
God’s love is made complete when we love like Christ.
We are to re-present the love of Christ to others.
Core CHRISTlike Characteristic: Relates with Other-Centered Love/Loving People